- "I never know what to expect when I get home."
- "Will my partner ever be the same?"
- "Something is horribly wrong, but I don't know how to help her."
- "It's tough to live with a depressed person."
How can you help?
- Encourage her to talk about her feelings, and do not judge them.
- Help her to reach out to others.
- Help her to find support and dedicated healthcare.
- Help her cope (practically and emotionally).
- Pitch in to help before she asks.
- Offer reassurance, positive feedback, and patience.
- Have confidence in her strength and recovery.
- Educate yourself about perinatal mood disorders.
Michelle Lacy, MA, LPC
East Valley Maternal Wellness, PLLC